Senior Mechanical Engineer
The Company is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. They employ 4,000 people across the UK. In addition to achieving ‘Investors In People’ accreditation, they won the Queens Awards for enterprise and international trade. They are entering a period of expansion offering exciting opportunities to work at the forefront of technology.
The successful candidate of this role will design and develop the EW products (new and legacy) and will perform mechanical engineering design in a professional manner in accordance with engineering common processes.
The successful candidate must be able to:
- Perform 'hands on' mechanical design and development using 3D CAD software
- Deliver innovative, optimised engineering solutions.
- Manage own elements of the engineering work package.
- Deliver design solutions against requirements, within budget and timescales.
- Support visits and meetings at UK sites and suppliers when required.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Provide leadership and technical direction on critical business programmes to ensure delivery of mechanical engineering excellence.
- Mechanical design and development using 3D CAD tools.
- Work within the integrated project team providing accurate mechanical engineering output and providing technical information to ensure informed decision making.
- Work in accordance with the mechanical design lifecycle.
- Have experience and understanding of material selection both metallic and composite
- Have experience and understanding of machining and manufacturing techniques and employment of them to achieve optimal DFx approaches.
- Formulate prototype designs and produce physical representations.
- Provide key support to critical technical problem investigations and deliver effective solutions.
- Chair, support and facilitate reviews and sign off release of mechanical designs in accordance with business and industry standards.
- Contribute towards continual improvement in product manufacturability through effective relationship building and design guidance / liaison with other engineering functions (systems, electrical, quality) and production to ensure product & customer requirements are fully satisfied.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required:
- Engineering design and development – process of delivering products and associated key milestones.
- Problem solving and simultaneous engineering – structured, logical approach to investigate issues and solve problems in an effective cross-function
- Mechanical Engineering industry trends - knowledge of new and advancing tools, techniques and technologies.
- Experience with thermal management would be beneficial.
- Knowledge and understanding of various additive manufacturing technologies.
- Chartered Engineer registration with a recognised organisation IMechE / RAeS / IED / IET.
- Mechanical Engineering design and development – process of delivering products and associated key milestones.
- Appreciation of Systems Engineering approach
- Appreciation of Project Management Fundamentals.
- Understanding of ERP, PLM and PDM systems (Teamcenter, Windchill and SAP experience would be beneficial).
- Business awareness - understanding of fundamental business principles, drivers and key customers.
- Preliminary (Sizing) Structural analyses, including modal (Hand calculations and FEA)
Cordius Recruitment team offers unrivalled expertise; a flexible and personal approach of successful recruitment within Engineering, Supply Chain and Technical disciplines - our highly experienced team of specialist consultants offer professional and transparent services to match the individual needs of both clients and candidates.
Apply for this job
Our Commitment to you
Here at Cordius Ltd. we work closely with our candidates to ensure that we provide you with a first class recruitment service. Our recruitment consultants seek to ensure that both the needs of the employer and the candidate are met, therefore producing a cohesive relationship and the best chance of success. Our Candidate Management Team is dedicated to helping you make the most of your CV and to aid you in the recruitment process through offering advice on interview techniques and construction of your CV.
Read our Terms & Conditions