The Company is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. They employ 4,000 people across the UK. In addition to achieving ‘Investors In People’ accreditation, they won the Queens Awards for enterprise and international trade. They are entering a period of expansion offering exciting opportunities to work at the forefront of technology.
Location: Luton (could also be based from Southampton, Bristol or Filton)
Salary: Negotiable + excellent benefits
Key Skills: Design integrity/signatory
A fantastic opportunity for a Chief Engineer to join our team in Design Integrity. As part of the role you will: • Approve products as the board signatory and EU responsible person for technical declarations.
• Be responsible for assisting in implementing the establishment, deployment and management of the engineering Product Governance policy and process into electronic warfare, including capability and competency development of staff.
• Be responsible for assisting in ensuring that the products are developed through suitable engineering processes, are compliant with legal requirements, producible, are tolerably safe, are fit for purpose and reliable in their intended environment.
• Be responsible for product engineering quality through monitoring and consideration of corrective action, to assure that the products are compliant with legal requirements, producible, are tolerably safe, are fit for purpose and reliable in their intended environment.
• Monitor the engineering governance process
• This is a national role, requiring some travel & flexibility in working arrangements, including (but not limited to) Luton, Southampton, Bristol & Lincoln Sites.
Key Responsibility Areas
• Delegated by the Chief Engineer (Design Integrity) as the independent safety and technical authority for a sub-set of products. Will accept delegated authority to certify product designs on behalf of the Board, including those contracted under the Regulatory Articles (DAOS).
• Following appropriate training will accept delegated authority to act as "responsible person" for EU Declarations of Conformity.
• Ensure the Design Integrity of Products, either directly or by delegation to an individual independent of the project hierarchy and with the required skills. Monitor the engineering governance process to provide recommendations for corrective action.
• Work closely with the QA organisation and the Line of Business to ensure that the products are being developed in accordance with the mandated requirements of the Product Development Lifecycle, compliant with contractual and legal requirements, are tolerably safe, and are fit for purpose.
• Assure that any statement with respect to product compliance made on behalf of the Company, is independently verified.
• Support the Line of Business by providing advice and clarification in planning product compliance, acting as Design Review chair or assessor as appropriate and facilitating access and engagement with appropriate technical expertise. Work towards optimising solutions.
• Responsible for assisting in the approval, through a Competency Framework, of the System Design Authorities, Product Design Authorities and Design Review Chairs.
• Understand, for a sub-set of the Electronic Warfare Product and Project Portfolio, the Design Approval Hierarchy for each product
• Work across Line of Business's as required.
• Ensure a culture of Best practice sharing and knowledge exploitation
• Contribute to the development and delivery of the Engineering Strategic Plan as required.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
•A broad engineering background is required: ideally the individual must have a wide engineering knowledge base & some product knowledge.
•A sound knowledge of current relevant standards & in-house processes is required. Detailed knowledge of product safety & regulatory standards is desirable Ideally have 10 years’ worth of experience in the relevant areas
•A Chartered Engineer, a Member or Fellow of a recognised Engineering or Science Professional body is desirable.
•Extensive experience of the development lifecycle of complex equipment, with a background in Engineering Management, is essential. An enthusiasm for engineering (Not just technology) is also essential.
•Proactive with the stakeholders, & to be diplomatic while understanding of the respective pressures when dealing with conflicting demands. Firmness & clarity in decision making is very important. The ability to balance technical excellence against the needs of the business is essential.
•A high level of appreciation of the interaction of design, manufacturing, supply chain & support capabilities is essential.
•Good coaching skills are highly desirable. The individual needs to be willing to help point teams in the right direction without the need to take over & do the job for them.
•The ability to quickly grasp a complex set of circumstances to identify pragmatic priorities, & understand what really matters, is to be demonstrated.
Cordius Ltd team offers unrivalled expertise; a flexible and personal approach of successful recruitment within Engineering, Supply Chain and Technical disciplines - our highly experienced team of specialist consultants offer professional and transparent services to match the individual needs of both clients and candidates.
Apply for this job
Our Commitment to you
Here at Cordius Ltd. we work closely with our candidates to ensure that we provide you with a first class recruitment service. Our recruitment consultants seek to ensure that both the needs of the employer and the candidate are met, therefore producing a cohesive relationship and the best chance of success. Our Candidate Management Team is dedicated to helping you make the most of your CV and to aid you in the recruitment process through offering advice on interview techniques and construction of your CV.
Read our Terms & Conditions