Principal Software Engineer
The Company is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. They employ 4,000 people across the UK. In addition to achieving ‘Investors In People’ accreditation, they won the Queens Awards for enterprise and international trade. They are entering a period of expansion offering exciting opportunities to work at the forefront of technology.
Benefits: Lots, including: flexible working, half day Fridays, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, award winning pension scheme, free gym membership, parental leave, coffee shop and restaurant, supportive relocation package if needed and many more.
Key Skills: Software programming in an object oriented language (C++ is used here)
We’re looking for creative software engineers to join a 1,000-strong Edinburgh engineering team to solve real-life engineering problems at the cutting edge of engineering for aerospace and defence.
We offer roles at all levels to match your skills and experience: Software Technician, Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer and Principal Software Engineer.
What could you be contribute?
· Solving problems and innovating is what makes Engineering fun. You’ll work on things like the radar for a Typhoon fighter jet, develop surveillance systems that are used by coastguards to save lives at sea, or perhaps systems to track and defeat missiles.
· Your software skills will be used across the full software lifecycle: from requirements analysis; through to integrating software with the hardware target and acceptance test.
· You will be responsible for creating high quality and robust designs and code; for fully documenting and recording your work products; keeping them under configuration management, and providing plans and progress reports.
· Depending on your level of experience, you may be required to supervise a small team of engineers and you will then be responsible for planning and managing the work for yourself and your team – including coaching more junior team members and making sure there’s a robust engineering solution for the team’s work packages
· You may have opportunities to contribute towards the investigation and analysis of leading edge development methodologies and influence the future path of software development.
· Your career could be massively varied and you’ll be constantly reinventing and developing your technical skillset from one project to the next.
Experiences and qualifications required:
· Ideally a 2:1, or better, in a relevant science-based honours degree e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Electronic Engineering (BSc (Hon)/ BEng (Hon)/ MEng).
· Experience developing software in industry, or experience of a research and development organisation
· Able to programme in an object-oriented programming language. We use C++
· Confident in Object Oriented Design and UML (Unified Modelling Language)
· Experience of developing software for a real-time embedded environment
· Familiarity with Model Driven Engineering
Toolset includes: Rhapsody, MatLab/Simulink, VxWorks, DOORS, Dimensions, JIRA. Experience of some of these, or similar tools, is an advantage but not essential.
Due to the nature of the tasks involved, you must be capable of achieving full SC security clearance and may require access to caveated information such as UK eyes only and ITAR.
Cordius Ltd team offers unrivalled expertise; a flexible and personal approach of successful recruitment within Engineering, Supply Chain and Technical disciplines - our highly experienced team of specialist consultants offer professional and transparent services to match the individual needs of both clients and candidates.
Apply for this job
Our Commitment to you
Here at Cordius Ltd. we work closely with our candidates to ensure that we provide you with a first class recruitment service. Our recruitment consultants seek to ensure that both the needs of the employer and the candidate are met, therefore producing a cohesive relationship and the best chance of success. Our Candidate Management Team is dedicated to helping you make the most of your CV and to aid you in the recruitment process through offering advice on interview techniques and construction of your CV.
Read our Terms & Conditions