Head of Software Engineering
Head of Software Engineering
Leading the Software Engineering Team to meet the design and development goals related to cost, schedule and performance. This relates to all development projects and support to business winning. The role includes maintaining and developing the competence of software engineering resources, processes and tools to meet the needs of the Line of Business.
- Reporting to the Head of Engineering based in the UK within the Electronic Systems Division.
- Provides a UK Focus for Software Engineering.
- Supports the Governance and Control of software engineering activities including the assignment of software engineers to product development, contract delivery and support to customer proposals.
- Based in either Southampton or Basildon and with regular UK and occasional international travel.
- Contributes to, and is governed by, the Strategic Plans of the Division with specific reference to the software engineering function.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Leadership of the Software Engineering function within the product based IPTs in the UK.
- Managing the associated financial aspects of a department of approximately 50 engineers and achieving target levels of recoveries from direct bookings.
- Authority for the authorisation of robust Software Development Plans ensuring they are developed and resourced to meet the schedule, cost and performance requirements of the business and its various market sectors.
- The allocation of software engineers to IPTs across the Division and the management of mismatches between workload and headcount.
- Agreeing with SQA and Design Integrity an appropriate level of tailoring of functional processes for each product development commensurate with the levels of risk and cost set by the Line of Business.
- Authority for the authorisation of software engineering cost estimation.
- Responsible to the Head of Engineering for the software engineering performance of all delivery activities across the Division.
- Promoting software engineering capability within the organisation, identifying collaboration and reuse opportunity and sharing resources in order to maximise utilisation and ensure benefit to the wider company
- Ensuring the accurate reporting of agreed Metrics from IPTs to the Head of Engineering.Leading and promoting a culture of continuous improvement towards industry best practise.
Apply for this job
Our Commitment to you
Here at Cordius Ltd. we work closely with our candidates to ensure that we provide you with a first class recruitment service. Our recruitment consultants seek to ensure that both the needs of the employer and the candidate are met, therefore producing a cohesive relationship and the best chance of success. Our Candidate Management Team is dedicated to helping you make the most of your CV and to aid you in the recruitment process through offering advice on interview techniques and construction of your CV.
Read our Terms & Conditions