Principal Mechanical Engineer
Cordius are partnering with a leading defence manufacturer to recruit a High Calibre Mechanical Engineer, whose primary role is to design and develop new products for the Tempest programme. The successful candidate will perform mechanical engineering design in a professional manner, and provide technical engineering leadership, coaching and mentoring to Engineers.
The successful candidate must be able to:
• Perform 'hands on' mechanical design and development using 3D CAD software, including 'first-pass' structural analysis to determine if a design is fit for purpose.
• Set standards for mechanical engineering best practice.
• Deliver innovative, optimised engineering solutions.
• Deliver design solutions against requirements, within budget and timescales.
• Develop and coach engineers in terms of technical knowledge and soft skills.
• Contribute to and conduct peer reviews.
• Post is based in Southampton with occasional visits to UK sites.
- Mechanical design and development using 3D CAD tools.
- Provide technical direction on critical business programmes to ensure delivery of mechanical engineering excellence.
- Have a good understanding of mechanical design lifecycle.
- Understand material selection process.
- Calculate stress and vibration tables.
- Demonstrate experience with ferrous/ Non-ferrous oxidisation/stress and composite materials.
- Formulate prototype designs and produce physical representations
- Lead/ provide key support to critical technical problem investigations and deliver effective solutions.
- Mentor design engineers with on-the-job coaching.
- Support and facilitate reviews and sign off release of mechanical designs in accordance with business and industry standards.
- Champion improvements in product manufacturability through effective relationship building and design guidance.
- Build effective cross functional relationships within local site, across business and internationally within group and suppliers.
- Support mechanical management team in process and departmental improvement and development activities.
- Chartered Member of IMechE or equivalent professional body
- Engineering design and development – process of delivering products and associated key milestones
- Problem solving and simultaneous engineering – structured, logical approach to investigate issues and problems in an effective cross-functional manner
- Mechanical engineering detailed design - first-hand experience of engineering design, numerical calculations, tolerance studies, etc.
Apply for this job
Our Commitment to you
Here at Cordius Ltd. we work closely with our candidates to ensure that we provide you with a first class recruitment service. Our recruitment consultants seek to ensure that both the needs of the employer and the candidate are met, therefore producing a cohesive relationship and the best chance of success. Our Candidate Management Team is dedicated to helping you make the most of your CV and to aid you in the recruitment process through offering advice on interview techniques and construction of your CV.
Read our Terms & Conditions