Lead Product Safety Engineer
The Company is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. They are entering a period of expansion offering exciting opportunities to work at the forefront of technology.
Are you a Lead Safety Engineer from a strong Product Safety, Electronics and Design Integrity background? Can you support the Design Authorities to assure safety of products within the Integrated Sensing and Protection lines? This role will be mainly based in Basildon, however occasional travel to Southampton and Farnham will be required.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Be an Independent Safety, Environmental and Legislative assessor to provide assurance that
- Product Plans will achieve contractual and company requirements
- Requirements have been adequately defined for product development
- Safety claims, arguments and evidence for products are robust
- Participate in Product Safety Panels as a specialist advisor for the management and resolution of safety incidents
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of safety and environmental legislation and customer needs
- Participate in company working groups to monitor proposed changes to the legislative environment
- As a practitioner, provide input and advice to the product development teams
- Support the development and delivery of training courses and speak with confidence on Product Safety and Environmental matters
- Perform safety audits of internal and external/subcontract teams assuring that safety and environmental requirements are achieved.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- Working knowledge of Legislation – eg REACH, RoHS and EU directives
- Working knowledge of industry standards such as DEF STAN 00-056, 00-055, 00-051 and associated hazard identification, analysis and risk management techniques
- Familiarity with POSMS and POEMS
- Worked with others to identify the future Product Safety and Environmental needs of a Company
- Awareness of cyber and its affect on safety
- Hands-on experience of developing robust safety and environmental impact cases and reports for complex systems in accordance with customer, regulatory and legislative expectations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a wide range of technical and operational topics.
- UK citizenship
- Willingness to travel within the UK and overseas
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience of MIL-STD-882, EN 61508 RTCA DO-254 and RTCA DO-178C or similar
- Experience of working with the external stakeholders to understand the concept of operations for products, to understand functional safety/hazards and define/agree the appropriate mitigations
- Ability to identify and deliver alternate/innovative ways to manage safety, including ensuring buy-in from key regulatory bodies
- Active membership of an external safety specialist group
- Familiarity with the principles of incident investigation and associated processes
Cordius Recruitment team offers unrivalled expertise; a flexible and personal approach of successful recruitment within Engineering, Supply Chain and Technical disciplines - our highly experienced team of specialist consultants offer professional and transparent services to match the individual needs of both clients and candidates.
Apply for this job
Our Commitment to you
Here at Cordius Ltd. we work closely with our candidates to ensure that we provide you with a first class recruitment service. Our recruitment consultants seek to ensure that both the needs of the employer and the candidate are met, therefore producing a cohesive relationship and the best chance of success. Our Candidate Management Team is dedicated to helping you make the most of your CV and to aid you in the recruitment process through offering advice on interview techniques and construction of your CV.
Read our Terms & Conditions