Lead Safety Engineer
Join a global high-tech company within Aerospace, Defence and Security, a leader in defence electronics delivering mission critical systems for situational awareness, electronic warfare and surveillance across land, sea and air.
Working within the Electronics UK Business Unit, this is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated individual to take a leadership position to provide assurance that products comply with Safety, Environmental and Legislative requirements, primarily within the land, naval and airborne domains.
Reporting to the Chief Engineer of Design Integrity and working with other safety specialists, you will play an active role in maintaining and enhancing the Product Safety and Environmental Impact Management System, which is integral to Design Integrity.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Be the Independent Safety, Environmental and Legislative assessor.
- Provide Assurance that Product Plans will achieve contractual and company requirements.
- Provide Assurance that requirements have been adequately defined for product development.
- Provide assurance that claims, arguments and evidence for products are robust.
- Operate as the Safety signatory on behalf of the company.
- Participate in Product Safety Panels as a specialist advisor to manage and resolve safety incidents.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of safety and environmental legislation and customer needs.
- Participate in company working groups to monitor proposed changes to the legislative environment.
- As a practitioner, provide input and advice to the product development teams.
- Operate as a consultant to promote safety culture, working with Safety, Health and Environmental teams to ensure safe working practices are maintained.
- Develop and deliver training courses and speak with confidence on Product Safety and Environmental matters.
- Perform safety audits of internal and external/subcontract teams assuring that safety and environmental requirements are achieved.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required:
- Working knowledge of Legislation – e.g. REACH, RoHS and EU directives.
- Working knowledge of industry standards such as DEF STAN 00-056, 00-055, 00-051.
- Familiarity with POSMS and POEMS.
- Regularly delivered training within a Company and delivered awareness presentations to other groups. Has worked with others to identify the future Product Safety and Environmental needs of a Company.
- Awareness of cyber and its effect on safety.
- Has hands-on experience of developing robust safety and environmental impact case reports for complex systems in accordance with customer, regulatory and legislative expectations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a wide range of technical and operational topics.
- UK citizenship and a willingness to travel within the UK and overseas.
Desirable experience includes:
- Experience of MIL-STD-882, EN 61508 RTCA DO-254 and RTCA DO-178C or similar.
- Experience of working with the external stakeholders to understand the concept of operations for products, in order to understand the functional safety/hazards and define/agree the appropriate mitigations.
- Ability to identify and deliver alternate/innovative ways to manage safety, including ensuring buy-in from key regulatory bodies.
- Active membership of an external safety specialist group.
- Familiarity with the principles of incident investigation and knows how to implement an investigation process.
Salary: Negotiable + Excellent Benefits
If you think you have what it takes, we’d love to hear from you!
Apply for this job
Our Commitment to you
Here at Cordius Ltd. we work closely with our candidates to ensure that we provide you with a first class recruitment service. Our recruitment consultants seek to ensure that both the needs of the employer and the candidate are met, therefore producing a cohesive relationship and the best chance of success. Our Candidate Management Team is dedicated to helping you make the most of your CV and to aid you in the recruitment process through offering advice on interview techniques and construction of your CV.
Read our Terms & Conditions