Principal Laser Engineer
A great opportunity for a Principal Laser Engineer to join a world class optics and laser development team providing leading-edge solutions into the global defence sector. Creating laser solutions for emerging defence applications, including compact airborne electro-optical systems and high energy lasers, the product range includes targeting lasers, stabilised laser delivery systems, electro-optic countermeasures solutions and electro-optic targeting and surveillance systems.
The position is part of a specialist group tasked with developing new fibre laser design and engineering capabilities, and will involve developing and using computational modelling techniques for the analysis of fibre lasers and fibre laser systems. This will be underpinned by conducting practical work in development laboratories.
The successful candidate will have significant opportunity to influence the progress, direction and successful delivery of the fibre laser development capability, and to also support one of the largest manufacturers of traditional solid state military lasers to introduce a manufacturing and integration capability for fibre laser products.
Key responsibility areas include;
Dependent on your level of experience, you will be responsible for;
- Product development, covering the full life cycle.
- Modelling of key laser processes using commercial and in-house tools.
- Selection of appropriate technical solutions with detailed justifications.
- Problem solving to support product development and manufacturing.
- Lead design reviews.
- Creation and review of detailed component drawings, product and test specifications.
- Technical liaison with subcontractors.
- Develop junior engineers by coaching and formal review.
We are looking for the below skills, qualifications & knowledge;
- Experience working in laser product development and/or laser applied research.
- Experience/ownership of a laser design (which has been manufactured in one-off or volume production).
- Experience in the design, characterisation and manufacture of fibre lasers using appropriate commercial tools.
- Advanced understanding of laser physics, and a detailed understanding and familiarity with fibre laser types, as well as solid state lasers.
- Experience relating to scaling fibre lasers to high power will be highly appropriate.
- An appreciation of the mechanical and electrical design aspects of laser systems is beneficial.
- Experience in a laser research and development or manufacturing environment is desirable.
- Strong analytical and modelling skills and good laboratory skills are beneficial.
- Essential - related Master's degree (e.g. Physics).
- Desirable - PhD with a significant fibre laser design content.
Salary: Negotiable + Excellent Benefits!
If you think you have what it takes, we would love to hear from you …
Apply for this job
Our Commitment to you
Here at Cordius Ltd. we work closely with our candidates to ensure that we provide you with a first class recruitment service. Our recruitment consultants seek to ensure that both the needs of the employer and the candidate are met, therefore producing a cohesive relationship and the best chance of success. Our Candidate Management Team is dedicated to helping you make the most of your CV and to aid you in the recruitment process through offering advice on interview techniques and construction of your CV.
Read our Terms & Conditions