Mechanical Engineer - Radar & Electro-Optics
The Company is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. They employ 4,000 people across the UK. They are entering a period of expansion offering exciting opportunities to work at the forefront of technology.
Salary: £31,500 - £46,500
Your role as a Senior Mechanical Engineer will be to support the design and development of the world leading radar and electro-optic products under the guidance of experienced Mechanical Team Leads. You will be utilising state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools to explore all aspects of the development lifecycle, including stress and thermal analysis, requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, build and product support. You will interface with customers (internal and external) on many factors within the design and liaise closely with Engineers from other disciplines, particularly Systems and Electronics.
- Perform 'hands on' mechanical design and development using 3D CAD software, including 'first-pass' structural analysis to determine if a design is fit for purpose
- Adhere to standards for mechanical engineering best practice
- Deliver innovative, optimised engineering solutions
- Deliver design solutions against requirements, within budget and timescales
- Develop and coach engineers in terms of technical knowledge and soft skills
- Contribute to peer reviews.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Seek and share good practice and knowledge locally to continuously improve own practices
- Working to timescales
- Work as a contributory engineering team member
- Mechanical design and development using 3D CAD tools
- Provide technical direction/support on critical business programmes to ensure delivery of mechanical engineering excellence
- Provide key support to critical technical problem investigations and deliver effective solutions
- Mentor design engineers with on-the-job coaching
- Support and facilitate reviews and sign off release of mechanical designs in accordance with business and industry standards
- Champion improvements in product manufacturability through effective relationship building and design guidance
- Build effective cross functional relationships within local site, across business and internationally within group and suppliers
- Support mechanical management team in process and departmental improvement and development activities
- Continue professional development throughout your career by formal training, learning "on the job" and keeping up to date with the latest developments which may aid performance.
- Ideally you will hold a minimum of an upper second class Master’s Honours degree in a relevant discipline or have equivalent job related experience
- You will be a Chartered Engineer with IMechE or equivalent. Alternatively, you must possess and be able to demonstrate that you have the UK-SPEC competencies necessary in obtaining Chartered status with the IMechE.
- Engineering design and development – process of delivering products and associated key milestones
- Problem solving and simultaneous engineering – structured, logical approach to investigate issues and problems in an effective cross-functional manner
- Mechanical engineering detailed design - first-hand experience of engineering design, numerical calculations, tolerance studies, etc
- Customer orientation - demonstrate ability of fulfilling customer requirements (internal and/or external)
- Self -motivated and willing to take on new challenges
- Good communications skills (written & oral) are essential
- The ability to develop good working relationships with stakeholders
- Results orientated
- Confident in their subject and decisive with ideas and recommendations
- Cost and schedule conscious
- Ability to make effective trade-offs – cost, quality and schedule
Cordius Recruitment team offers unrivalled expertise; a flexible and personal approach of successful recruitment within Engineering, Supply Chain and Technical disciplines - our highly experienced team of specialist consultants offer professional and transparent services to match the individual needs of both clients and candidates.
Apply for this job
Our Commitment to you
Here at Cordius Ltd. we work closely with our candidates to ensure that we provide you with a first class recruitment service. Our recruitment consultants seek to ensure that both the needs of the employer and the candidate are met, therefore producing a cohesive relationship and the best chance of success. Our Candidate Management Team is dedicated to helping you make the most of your CV and to aid you in the recruitment process through offering advice on interview techniques and construction of your CV.
Read our Terms & Conditions