Firmware Engineer - All Levels
The Company is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. They employ 4,000 people across the UK. In addition to achieving ‘Investors In People’ accreditation, they won the Queens Awards for enterprise and international trade. They are entering a period of expansion offering exciting opportunities to work at the forefront of technology.
The successful candidate will use the Electronics design skills to solve real-life engineering problems on state-of-the-art projects. The candidate will work on projects like the radar for a Typhoon fighter jet, surveillance systems that are used by coastguards to save lives at sea, or systems to track and defeat missiles.
Key Skills: Firmware; VHDL designs; FPGA, verification techniques; firmware requirements
- As a Firmware engineer, you will be responsible for creating innovative and robust VHDL based designs; for fully documenting and recording your work products; keeping them under configuration management, and providing progress reports
- You will be responsible for the design and development of Firmware designs using VHDL; for verifying designs using either VHDL or SystemVerilog and working to a structured firmware design process
- You will work closely with Systems, Hardware and Software engineers to solve real integration problems on complex systems
- Depending on your level of experience, you may be required to peer review designs, supervise a small team of engineers and be responsible for planning and managing the work for yourself and your team – including coaching more junior team members and making sure there's a robust engineering solution for the team's work packages
- Most training will be delivered through on-the-job experience working in firmware teams within project groups, delivering radar or electro-optic systems to our customers. You may receive additional formal technical training to augment this via taught courses depending on the business needs
- Ideally a 2:1, or better, in a relevant science-based Honours degree in Electronics Engineering, or related science, ideally specializing in digital design techniques.
- Experience using FPGA technologies from either Xilinx, Intel (Altera) or Microsemi (Actel) and their tools
- Experience in advanced verification techniques using either VHDL or SystemVerilog / UVM
- Experience in specifying complex timing and area constraints for efficient FPGA place and route
- Ability to analyse system level requirements and derive detailed Firmware requirements
- A methodical approach to the full firmware design lifecycle, working to a structured firmware process such as RTCA DO-254 or similar
- Experience of de-bugging firmware designs and supporting verification and integration at hardware and system level
- Ability to communicate effectively across different disciplines both verbally and in written form
- Ability to work on own or as part of a team
- Tools and programming languages aside, the most important thing is that you can learn on the job – like the proverbial duck to water
Cordius Recruitment team offers unrivalled expertise; a flexible and personal approach of successful recruitment within Engineering, Supply Chain and Technical disciplines - our highly experienced team of specialist consultants offer professional and transparent services to match the individual needs of both clients and candidates.
Apply for this job
Our Commitment to you
Here at Cordius Ltd. we work closely with our candidates to ensure that we provide you with a first class recruitment service. Our recruitment consultants seek to ensure that both the needs of the employer and the candidate are met, therefore producing a cohesive relationship and the best chance of success. Our Candidate Management Team is dedicated to helping you make the most of your CV and to aid you in the recruitment process through offering advice on interview techniques and construction of your CV.
Read our Terms & Conditions